Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Watermelon Lemonade

I am not a food blogger. I WISH I was, but I am not. I do not take pretty food pictures, make awesome recipes that make could someone drool, or anything like that, although I wish I did. I wish I could be like The Pioneer Woman, or Amanda over at i am baker, but I'm not them, they are my idols :) (well they are a few, I have many!)

Today I'm going to pretend to be a food blogger...but with crappy pictures :)

Last year, I went to Ihop. Ihop had on the menu some watermelon lemonade. Normally I'm not a huge lemonade fan, but the picture made it look so very good. I decided to give it a try...and I ended up having like 4 refills! I was full, and so was my bladder! It was so very good.

I went to Ihop again, not long after that, on a quest for more of that watermelon lemonade, but as luck (or lack of) would have it, they no longer had it. I was very bummed. I decided to make it my mission to try to come up with something that was close to what they had, something that would make my tastebuds dance, and want more.

I thought of snowcone syrup, watermelon, to add to lemonade, but of course, no stores had any. Once again I was bummed and frustrated, I was really craving that stupid watermelon lemonade!

Finally, I came across a blog that might have held my answer...It was over on Skip to my Lou. She had posted about making your own snowcone syrup. BINGO. This was just what I needed. I decided to try this, and I'm so very happy I did. My tastebuds are now doing the salsa, tango, and the waltz too! I'm going to share with you now, my recipe for my Watermelon Lemonade...please try this, its not only tart but sweet too, and oh so very good. Take my word for it, would I steer you wrong? Nope, I would not.

Here is what you need:

024
Food coloring is optional, I use it just because the Kool-Aid is clear, the coloring helps me see how much is in the glass, and adds a pretty color :). You could actually use just about any kind of Kool-Aid (or generic brand), experiment! I couldn't find plain watermelon, so I have watermelon kiwi.

In a saucepan combine:
2 cups of sugar
1 cup of water
1 pk of Kool-Aid watermelon kiwi (or whatever other flavor you'd like to try)

026

Bring this combination to a boil. Once it boils, remove from heat. Now, if you'd like color, please add a drop of coloring unless your Kool-Aid is already colored. You have made a simple syrup.

Let this simple syrup cool, then pour it into a container to keep in the fridge.

Make up a batch of Lemonade. I buy the Great Value kind, because I'm cheap, but you could use whatever kind you want.

Once your Lemonade & watermelon simple syrup are cold, get them out and get ready to enjoy some tastebud tango.

027
Get yourself a glass of ice. Pour a bit of the watermelon simple syrup into your glass, maybe about umm lets say less than a inch worth...You can adjust this depending on how much watermelon sweetness you want to your lemonade I personally like more, because I'm more into sweet than tart :) Next add your lemonade.

019
Are you with me so far? Lookin' good eh?

Now, stir it up.

022
Drink it! You know you want to. Let your tastebuds do the cha-cha. It is so good, and very easy to make. I made my first batch of simple syrup (of the season) a few days ago and I've already had to make another, this time I did a double. The girls & I all love it.

I made up a poem for this recipe...because I'm weird...

It's sour and its sweet.
Take a sip and your taste buds will dance like your feet.

:)

LOL yep, I'm weird right?

Go make some watermelon lemonade NOW! Just don't drink to much, it makes ya have to pee a lot...I'm off to the potty now :)

Toodles!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

You are so sweet! And that looks GORGEOUS!!! So creative! :)

Dazee Dreamer said...

that was really awesome. you should do more of those.

For Heavens Sake! said...

looks good but lots of sugar in it!
I recently tried the Arizona Tea Watermelon and it is great too!

Renee said...

its not that much sugar...its not like you put the whole back of simple syrup into one drink, only a little in the bottom of the glass. I like sweet :)