Thursday, April 22, 2010

What would you pay?

I've been thinking about ways to earn money, yet still be home for the kids. I have no special training for a GOOD job that pays well, so it would be kind of silly to go to work and let someone raise my kids and me pay all my earnings to them. I thought about babysitting...but do I really want to do that? Not especially, but would if thats the only thing I can do to get more money. Then I thought of making cakes and cookies for people's special occassions. Not sure on what to charge though. I'd never be able to charge enough to pay for all the time I put into stuff, but my time isn't that important, I'd just like to make some money on the items, not break even. So I'm asking you, my readers, what you would pay for items.

How about cakes, with basic flowers?
8 or 9 in. round
1/4 sheet
1/2 sheet
full sheet

How about cakes with more personable things, things that are more time consuming...such as Bree's Kai Lan cake or some of the cakes here?
8 or 9 in. round
1/4 sheet
1/2 sheet
full sheet

How about decorated cookies? What would you pay for something like this or this (hopefully more pretty lol I'm still improving on my cookie skills)
per cookie?
how about a dozen?

I appreciate you taking the time to give me your opinions.

Toodles

QOTD: Are you doing anything special 'green' for Earth Day today?

4 comments:

Elliottsmama said...

Your cookies were better than cookies by design..check out what theirs cost. I never bought them but I have had them.
Figure out what you spend on ingrediants and them go from there. I can say you do wonderful work and people like homemade better than store bought. I say you should do it. I would buy cookies for special events without a second thought

Renee said...

Yay! Glad to see you were able to comment Cindy :) I did check out Cookies by Design's site yesterday and about crapped myself. It was $7.25, per cookie, and you had to get a minimum of 3. No one I know would pay that much for a cookie! Yikes.

Tammy said...

I've never purchased cookies like that. I know that when I buy a cake, we usually pay between $40-$50 CAN for a decorated sheet cake. I believe Paige's Backyardigan cake was a bit more expensive. I'm not sure if that helps.

We did some Earth Day projects. We made some coffee filter Earths and Stained Glass Earths (using crayon shavings).

Amanda said...

This is my price list.. but I think I would PAY more! (as a consumer)

http://iammommy.typepad.com/i_am_baker/2009/10/pricing.html

Blessings!
Amanda